Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Making a Mark

My son "A" leaves for Ethiopia in a few days. Yes, Africa. The capital Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. He's delivering running shoes, several hundred pair to those that need them. It's been a long process, and is the result of 2 years of "events" and "collections" and hopes and dreams but finally, finally he and his "Ethiopia Project" team of Alicia and Kyle and Berhanu will make the 21 hr trek by plane to a very far away land.

It's taken many people to make this happen. All those that participated in the Runs, shoe collections, Community Events/Auctions etc. Who gave shoes and $$$$. All the volunteers that tirelessly worked and gave their time and skills.  Each person gave with such generosity of heart. And each of them made such an impact on "A" and all the rest of the hardworking folks involved with The Ethiopia Project.

Now I imagine that the first few hours in this far away place will be incredibly eye opening and I wish I could experience that with "A". This is really, just the beginning. Who knows the affect that a pair of shoes has on a person. Who knows the affect of that gesture. How it carries forward to someone else on a continent so far away.

I predict that this is just the beginning of all the good to be done by "Ethiopia Project". I hope and pray for safety and well being on this trip for all of them. So please, all of you Pray hard for "A" and Alicia, Kyle and Berhanu. That they will be able to give all they can and be safe and well for the journey.

Finally, to "A" you are Making your Mark, By the Grace of God. Be ready for anything. Take us with you in spirit. Love Mamabus and Mr. I.

1 comment:

Catholic On My Way Home said...

Mamabus,

I really liked your title and the line you'll never know what effect a pair of shoes will have on a person. The title hit home with me because I went to a class on the human person and the word for sin in Hebrew is het which means missing the mark. I think "A" is definitely hitting the mark. Good job.

You are so right about what certain things have certain effects on people. In this case, "A" will be providing tools for people to improve upon themselves and the pebble's ripples follow. Double good job. Mary